June 26, 2012
July 4th road closures, detours, traffic alert
The Concord Police Department would like to notify the community of heightened traffic congestion, major road closures and detours during upcoming Independence Day celebration events.
On July 2, 3, and 4, from 4 to 10 p.m., drivers should be aware of increased traffic on Concord Boulevard between Glazer Drive and Landana Drive due to the Singing Flag event at Dave Brubeck Neighborhood Park. From 9 to 10:30 p.m. each evening, Concord Boulevard will be closed to vehicle traffic between Glazier Drive and West Street. Through traffic should use Clayton Road as an alternative.
On Wednesday, July 4, there will be several daytime road closures to accommodate the 4th of July events in downtown Concord around Todos Santos Plaza. Several streets will be closed from 8 to 9:30 a.m. for the Concord Police Association's Stars and Stripes 5k Run and Walk. (See map and list of street closures below).
At 9:30 a.m., Salvio Street will be closed from the back lot of the Park and Shop Shopping Center to Parkside Drive for the annual 4th of July Parade. This is a new parade route. Streets intersecting Salvio Street from Concord Avenue to Port Chicago Highway will be closed at Pacheco Street on the north side and Willow Pass Road to the south. (See map below). Willow Pass Road will remain open during both events.
For more information, contact Sgt. John Nunes, (925) 671-5073.
Stars and Stripes 5k Walk Run Route (8:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.)
Several streets will be closed from 8 to 9:30 a.m. for the Concord Police Association's Stars and Stripes 5k Run and Walk. The following road closures will be in place (also see map):
- Salvio Street from Mt. Diablo Street to Esperanza Drive
- Esperanza Drive from Salvio Street to Bonifacio Street
- Bonifacio Street from Esperanza Drive to Port Chicago Highway
- Pacheco Street from Port Chicago Highway to Mt Diablo Street
- East Street from Willow Pass Road to Bonifacio Street
- Colfax Street from Willow Pass Road to Pacheco Street - Traffic will be monitored at Pacheco Street to allow access to the parking garage.
- Port Chicago Highway from Willow Pass Road to Bonifacio Street
- Grant Street from Willow Pass Road to Gill Drive
- Grant Street from Mildred Street to Mt. Diablo High School will remain open with one southbound lane closed for run/walk participants
- Gill Drive from Mildred Street to Mt. Diablo High School
- Almond Avenue from East Street to Mt. Diablo Street
- Bacon Street from East Street to Grant Street
- Mt. Diablo Street from Almond Avenue to Willow Pass Road
Other streets in the immediate area will be affected. Many of the above closures will be very brief. The Concord Police Association will have volunteers, including over 20 off-duty police officers, monitoring the course and will work to accommodate residents and business owners within the closure area.
Parade Road Closure Area (9:30 a.m. to Noon)
Contact: Sergeant John Nunes
Concord Police Department - Traffic Bureau
1350 Galindo Street
Concord, CA 94520