Historical Buildings in Concord, California
Many of the buildings date back to the late 1800s and early 1900s. While some remain private residences, many have been restored and are used as office or commercial buildings. Todos Santos (All Saints) was the original name of the city now called Concord. In the 1860s, Salvio Pacheco, his son Fernando, and his son-in-law Francisco Galindo had the 20 acres, which is now downtown Concord, surveyed for a new town. Nineteen blocks were plotted around a central plaza. Don Salvio dedicated the plaza to the people of his new town for use as a park. Today, Todos Santos Plaza continues to be the site for numerous community festivals and celebrations. There is no official documentation on the changing of the name of Todos Santos to Concord. The only reference to its origin appeared in The Contra Costa Gazette of April 17, 1869. "Concord is the name, as we hear, by which the sponsors have decided to call the new village that is to from the east extension of Pacheco town." In May 1869, the new town residents held a party in a local store to celebrate the founding of Concord. For more information:
2190 Grant Street
This corner was the site for the first Concord Grammar School. The present two-story wood-frame house and barn were built circa 1897 for the George Alves family. A son, Frank Alves, occupied the house until his death in 1992. Remembered for its extensive vegetable gardens and flower beds, and the long, white picket fence, the house remains a private residence.
2080 East Street
Located at the southeast corner of East and Pacheco Streets, the house was built by David Levinson. The house gets its name from subsequent owners George and Florence Barnett. For many years it served prominent families as a private residence. It is currently used for commercial purposes.
2108 Grant Street
This house was built in 1912-13 by L.V. Perry for Charles and Carrie (Beebe) Bibber at a cost of $3,733. In addition to its large size and prominent architecture, the house is known for its exquisite wood paneling and beautifully finished staircase. Charles Bibber was the Deputy County Assessor. The house remained in his family for two generations. It has since been reconfigured for commercial purposes and is used as professional offices.
2289 Bonifacio Street
Early owners of this property included Mary Freitas, and Hatte and Harold Green. Miss Caroline L. Bolla, a member of a local farming family, acquired the property in 1924. The two-story, wood-frame house was converted to office commercial uses by its current owner.
County Fire House
2210 Willow Pass Road
Built during 1938-1939 at its existing location, which was on land in the original village of Todos Santos, Fire Commissioner DeRosa arranged for the new Fire District to purchase these two lots for $5,000. The construction cost was $2,800. The white adobe structure had two large halls for its trucks and included nine smaller rooms, two kitchens, and several sleeping and ready rooms. Currently it remains in use as an emergency and fire alert station for No. 6 Engine Company. The Contra Costa County Consolidated Fire District is the current owner.
1800 Clayton Road
Built by L.V. Perry circa 1900, this small, wood-frame building was the home for the William Henry Eddy family. William Eddy began and operated a maintenance garage and sales agency for Mitchell and Dodge cars at several locations in downtown Concord. The building was originally located on the northwest corner of Willow Pass Road and Mt. Diablo Street. In 1927 the house was moved to Amador Avenue where it was discovered in a deteriorated state in 1980 by the City of Concord. The present owner rescued the building from demolition, moved it to its present site and restored it for use as a commercial office.
2118 East Street
The house was built in 1912-13 for Herbert H. Elworthy, who was then Mayor of Concord, his wife Annie (Brawand) Elworthy, and their four sons. During the 1970s and 1980s, it was converted for use as a church and childcare facility, but was restored to its original configuration in 1988-89 and is currently used for commercial purposes.
2156 Pacheco Street
This small, single story, wood-frame structure has had many owners and tenants. Initially the lot was part of the Brawand's property holdings and was in the estate deeded to Minnie Brawand, Alice Brawand, and Annie (Brawand) Elworthy. Title also passed through the Ivey, Wells, Douglas, Bell, Wessman and Matrinzam families. Its association with the Kellers no longer can be confirmed; possibly a member of the Keller family was a temporary tenant. The building is presently used as professional offices.
Foskett & Elworthy Building
2001 Salvio Street
Sam Bacon's Store, considered to be the first commercial establishment in the village of Todos Santos, first occupied this site. In 1911, the Foskett & Elworthy Corporation selected W.H. Weeks of San Francisco to design this structure, the first modern, stone-stucco building in Concord. The original tenant at the prime corner position was their own First National Bank. Over the years, a series of banks, food markets, retail stores, barber shops and professional offices have occupied this key downtown facility. Completely restored in the 1970s, the current corner tenant is a restaurant. The large mural on the east exterior wall by artist Dan Fontes was commissioned by the City in 1992.
Francisco Galindo Home
1721 Amador Street
This house was built in 1856 for Don Francisco Galindo and his wife, Maria Dolores Manuela (Pacheco) Galindo, Don Salvio's second daughter. At that time, it was one of the few Victorian ranch houses in the county. When their oldest son, Juan "John" Galindo and his bride, Marina "Sarah" (Amador) Galindo took up residence in 1880, the original six-room house was expanded to ten rooms. After their eldest child, Frederick, and Catherine (Hittman) Galindo were married in 1911, title was transferred to the next generation. Following Mrs. Catherine Galindo's death in 1966, the house continued to be the residence of her children Harold, Ruth and Leonora. As the last, direct descendant of the family, Ms. Ruth Galindo resided in the home until her death in December 1999. With distribution of her estate, the house and its surrounding property of approximately 1.5 acres were deeded to the City of Concord to be preserved for public use as a house museum and park.
2459 Pacheco Street
The lot for this house was purchased for residential construction in 1911 by C.R. and Emma Potter. Subsequently, it has been owned by Emma (Potter) Miller, the J. Robillards (1920), the A. Guthries (1922), and Anton and Josephine Accinelli (1924). The Accinellis also owned the popular Tony's Toggery on Salvio Street and were very prominent in community activities. Peter and Edith Ginochio purchased the house in 1944. It remains a private residence.
1849 Clayton Road
Originally built in the 1870s for John Brawand, a partner in the Salvio Street Livery Stable, the house was located on Grant Street. By 1899, Henry Ivey became sole proprietor of the livery stable and his family occupied the house. Daphne Ivey sold the property to the Wells family in 1926. The house was moved in 1979-80 to a site at the convergence of the Clayton Road/Concord Boulevard couplet. The house has been restored and remodeled for its present use as a professional office.
1760 Clayton Road
Built in 1902-03 by L.V. Perry for Henry (Harry) and Elodia Keller, the house was initially located at the southeast corner of Galindo and Clayton Road. Paul and Marie Keller acquired the house in 1912 when his brother, Harly, purchased a large ranch in Clayton. Paul was founder of the P.L. Keller Hardware store, was City Clerk (1910-1914), and was very active in civic and cultural affairs. In the late 1970s, the house was converted to a real estate office and restored. In 1984, it was moved to its present Ellis Lake Park location where it is used for community service activities.
1987 Bonifacio Street
The house was built circa 1915 for Mr. and Mrs. Frank Kelly. Mr. Kelly was a blacksmith at the nearby Boyd and Jaquith Blacksmith Shop. The Ray Crenna family were subsequent, longtime residents. Later, the wood-frame building was damaged severely by fire. It has been restored for commercial office purposes.
2350 Pacheco Street
Built in the 1890s off what was then the west end of Bonifacio Street, this wood-frame house was used as the original, local residence for the A.W. Maltby family while their "mansion" at 3033 Bonifacio Street was being constructed. The house was moved to 2390 East Street circa 1915, then to its current site in 1979. The house now provides office space for a social service agency.
1765 Galindo Street
Concord's Masonic Temple provides the ceremonial meeting room and social hall for Mt. Diablo Lodge #448, Free and Accepted Masons. Constructed in 1927 by L.V. Perry for $31,550, the temple was dedicated on October 6, 1928. This imposing 20-room facility incorporates approximately 9,600 sq. ft. on two levels.
2156 Grant Street
Built in 1906 by L.V. Perry for Barney Neustaedter, the prosperous owner of early Concord's "Pioneer Store," the simple wood-beam exterior belies its detailed, richly appointed interior. It remained in the family until acquired and restored by contractor James Galton. In 1988 it was resold and remains a private residence.
2334 Almond Avenue
Built in the 1890s on the south side of Salvio Street between Grant and Colfax Streets, this home was adjacent to the Nunez family's saloon in the original Todos Santos Village. When that block was reconstructed circa 1906 to accommodate the new building of the First Presbyterian Church, the Nunez house was moved to this location. The architecture of the house distinguishes it as the most prominent expression of the popular Queen Anne-style which still exists in Concord. The house is a private residence.
Old Fire House
1982 Concord Avenue
The City's first Fire House, this structure was originally located on a lot on the west side of Mt. Diablo Street near Willow Pass Road. In 1883, J.W. Guy was paid $870 to start construction on the building which eventually opened in 1892. Its cast-iron bell summoned firemen and signaled curfew. In 1911, to accommodate pending construction of the Concord Inn, the structure was relocated around the corner to the south side of Willow Pass Road. In 1939, it was converted for City Hall and Police Department uses. Subsequently, it housed, in turn, the Chamber of Commerce, an art studio, and the Salvation Army. In 1981, it was moved to its present location. It is currently used as retail and office space.
1990 Concord Avenue
Built in 1911 by its original owner, the well-known contractor Laurence V. Perry, the building faced Clayton Road, off Colfax Street, near the present location of the Tishman Building. Constructed as a wood-frame, two-flat structure, Laurence and Isabelle (Nunez) Perry and their daughter Laurine occupied the upstairs; the lower flat always was a rental, many times for local high school teachers. The house was moved to its current location in 1981. It has been restored and remodeled as a restaurant.
2178 Pacheco Street
The apartments occupy land which was originally included in the original survey for the village of Todos Santos. The two-plus corner lot was parceled in 1936 for the apartment configurations and they were sold to Pierre and Pauline Paillassou. The two-story, white stucco, eight apartment structure remains a prominent feature in the downtown.
1870 Adobe Street
The first permanent structure in this area was built during the 1840s as the headquarters for Don Salvio Pacheco's 17,921 acre land grant - Rancho Monte del Diablo. The Adobe was constructed by the Miranda Brothers of Sonora, Mexico and local Indians. Don Salvio moved his family from San Jose, California, into the eight-room, two-story adobe in 1846. It remained in the family until the early 1930s. Since then it has been restored and remodeled several times. The building has served as a restaurant and a bank. It is currently used for office and commercial purposes.
Todos Santos Plaza
2175 Willow Pass Road, bounded by Willow Pass Road, Salvio Street, Grant Street and Mt. Diablo Street
The plaza was dedicated in 1868 by its pioneer founders Don Salvio Pacheco, Don Fernando Pacheco and Don Francisco Galindo as the public square in one of the original 20 blocks laid out for the new town. The plaza continues to serve as the site for local celebrations, concerts, carnivals and festivals. The 1993-94 renovation project is the square's seventh major renovation.
2243 Mt. Diablo Street
Built circa 1880 for Captain Barney Webb, this house was later the residence of the Presentation M. Soto family. Presentation Soto was an early local shop keeper, Concord's sixth Postmaster, and sixth Mayor. The house also was known as the Jackson House during the residence of Elma (Soto) Jackson. In 1991, it was restored, and converted for use as professional counseling offices.
Information from a brochure produced by the City of Concord Redevelopment Agency with the assistance of the Concord Historical Society, the Todos Santos Business Association and Wentling's Portrait Studio. For more information, contact the Concord Historical Society Resource Center.