Dispose of those batteries safely
Batteries contain hazardous materials that may get into the environment. For example, cadmium and lead enter soil and water from landfills and enter the air via municipal waste incinerators.
Examples of various types of batteries are:
- Nickel-Cadmium (Ni-Cd) batteries are rechargeable batteries commonly used in cellular and cordless phones, video cameras, hand held vacuums, and cordless power tools.
- Alkaline batteries are dry cell batteries commonly used in domestic items such as flashlights, CD players, tape recorders, and clocks.
- Sealed lead-acid batteries are rechargeable and are used in camcorders, cordless phones, and power tools.
- Lithium batteries are most often used in cameras.
- Zinc-air batteries are button cells used primarily for hearing aids. They contain 1% mercury by weight.
What About Rechargeable Batteries?
By recycling your used rechargeable batteries, you will help create a cleaner and safer environment by keeping harmful rechargeable battery by-products out of our landfills and the solid waste stream. Rechargeable batteries include Nickel-Cadmium (Ni-Cd), nickel metal hydride (Ni-MH), Lithium ion (Li-ion) sealed lead-acid batteries.
Battery Recycling Facilities in the Concord Area
Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility - Martinez
Batteries can be recycled at the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility located at 4797 Imhoff Place in Martinez. The hours for residents are Monday and Thursday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and for businesses are Monday through Saturday by appointment only.The Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility is closed on Sunday and Monday.
In addition to batteries, the facility accepts things like household cleaning products, mercury (thermometers, fluorescent bulbs), used motor oil, brake and transmission fluids, antifreeze, solvents, oil-based and latex paint, wood stain, paint remover, pesticides, herbicides and aerosol cans.
Batteries can also be dropped off free of charge at a number of other locations in Concord:
|Bill's Ace Hardware||3375 Port Chicago Hwy||Concord||925-726-0333|
|Brookstone||424 Sun Valley Mall||Concord||925-609-7138|
|Circuit City||2030 Diamond Blvd||Concord||925-827-5555|
|Electric Euro Service||1913 Salvio St||Concord||925-687-1442|
|Fastenal||1375 Franquette Ave||Concord||925-363-4759|
|Grainger||2288 Pike Ct||Concord||925-686-6654|
|Home Depot||5400 Ygnacio Valley Rd||Concord|
|Home Depot Design Center||1461 Concord Ave||Concord||925-356-0334|
|Office Depot, Inc.||1631 Challenge Dr||Concord||925-689-2582|
|RadioShack||242 Sun Valley Mall||Concord||925-686-1423|
|RadioShack||1790 Willow Pass Rd||Concord||510-687-9580|
|SAM'S CLUB||1225 Concord Ave||Concord||925-685-0640|
|Sears||1001 Sunvalley Blvd||Concord|