City of Concord, California

Downtown Specific Plan Update

Downtown Concord Specific Plan Project for the Downtown Concord BART Priority Development Area

Project Overview

The Downtown Specific Plan is a community planning effort to direct short and long term development and improvements in Downtown Concord. Click here to see the boundary of the Downtown planning area. The City submitted and successfully secured a Priority Development Area (PDA) Planning grant from the Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG) and Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) to fund the majority of the project. The Specific Plan was adopted June 24, 2014 after an 18-month community outreach and development process. The work will now be geared toward implementation of the plan with strategies for strengthening existing assets, while attracting investment for new Downtown improvements. Learn more.

The Specific Plan provides a vision for how the Downtown will integrate housing, jobs, retail, and transportation linkages including pedestrian, disability access, and vehicular traffic with transit hubs. An Ad Hoc Downtown Steering Committee consisting of members from the public and occasional community workshops helped to shape a Downtown Vision, identified existing strengths and desired improvements for the Downtown and assisted in selection of a preferred alternative for further analysis and development. The Specific Plan provides a provides a vision for how the Downtown will integrate housing, jobs, retail, and transportation linkages including pedestrian, disability access, and vehicular traffic with transit hubs.

Background

Downtown Concord, California - Project rendering by artistIn December 2012, the City of Concord retained a consultant team to develop a Specific Plan for the Downtown Concord BART Priority Development Area (PDA), roughly defined as the area within a fifteen minute walking distance from the Concord BART station. In April 2012, the City submitted a PDA Planning Program Grant Application and secured funds from the Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG) and Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC). These grant funds financed 80% of the Specific Plan and Environmental review preparation. The City funded the remaining 20% through matching funds and in-kind contributions.

The goal of the PDA Program grant is to encourage intensified land uses around public transit hubs and bus and rail corridors. The program is geared towards:

  1. Increasing housing supply, including affordable housing, and jobs
  2. Increasing land-use intensities, thereby boosting transit ridership
  3. Increasing walking, bicycling, carpooling and car sharing by promoting multi-modal connections
  4. Locating key services and retail in the planning area.

The City of Concord has partnered with BART and the Contra Costa Transportation Authority to achieve realistic solutions to the above objectives through the Specific Plan Process.

Planning Elements

Specific Plans funded through the PDA program are required to address the Station Area Planning Principles outlined in MTC's Station Area Planning manual. At a minimum, plans are required to include the following Planning elements;

  • An overview profile of the planning area including demographic and socio-economic characteristics
  • A significant public outreach and community involvement process
  • Development of several land-use alternatives
  • A market demand analysis for housing at all levels of affordability, jobs and retail in the planning area
  • A housing strategy that promotes affordable housing and minimizes the displacement of residents
  • A multi-modal access and connectivity strategy
  • Pedestrian friendly design standards for buildings, streets and open space
  • An accessibility analysis for people with disabilities
  • A parking analysis to create a policy to reduce parking demand and supply
  • An infrastructure development analysis and budget
  • An Implementation plan and financing strategy to ensure the plan will be adopted and that policies and programs will be updated as necessary.
 
City of Concord CA